Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Christmas 2011, Same As 2010 But With A Baby

We didn't get Lucy anything for Christmas because she's a baby and she doesn't know what Christmas is. I tried to be excited about Christmas this year but the disillusion began when Santa's photographer took 7 pictures and only printed the one with Lucy crying. I think it's easy to get carried away when you're pregnant thinking about all the fun things you're going to do with your baby. The truth is, if you don't usually do it before you have a baby, chances are you will not do it with your child. Therefore, I did not put up a Christmas tree. We did not go to Snowflake Lane. We didn't drink egg nog or sing Christmas carols and we most certainly did not go to midnight mass on Christmas eve. Instead Dan and I opened a good bottle of wine (2007 L'Ecole Perigee for the oenophiles among you), cooked a ham and mashed potatoes, lit a fire and watched The Sound of Music. It was probably the best Christmas Eve ever. Lucy slept through the whole thing. I might have woken her up when I was singing along to the movie but that's for her own good. She will learn all the words eventually. 


Christmas morning came and Lucy still had no idea it was different than any other day. We spent the day at my parents house along with Dan's parents and my relatives that were in town from Mexico. It was a lovely day and Lucy did great being cooed at and passed around all day. It's important that your baby is clean, fed, safe and loved regardless of the day. Babies innately know they're ok. They don't know there is a pile of gifts waiting for them. They don't know there's a fake fat guy in a red suit breaking and entering and eating all your cookies. I will try my hardest to make Christmas special for her when she's old enough to appreciate it. Until then, we will not be planning what to get her for her first birthday because she will not know what that is either. 


I'm not a total scrooge; here's a picture of Lucy in her Christmas suit. Cute, no? 






1 comment:

  1. you crack me up. And I miss you guys!! xo. Lucy is too cute!!

    ReplyDelete